Wednesday, September 22, 2010

First Post: What I Want This Blog to be About

This blog is about one simple decision: living in the DC suburbs and deciding to ditch my car.

Reactions to this decision among my friends have fully run the spectrum from "but how will you get ANYWHERE?" to "what took you so long?" I realize that this is not a new concept. In fact, according to the 2000 Census, 37% of DC households have zero cars. So I know that this has been done before - not only that, but starting a blog about doing it has probably been done before - and it will be done again. I don't expect to uncover major shortcomings of public transit that thousands of people don't already experience everyday. But as I contemplate my 2011 New Years Resolution (yes, I think about them well in advance) to permanently get rid of my car, I want to use the next month to fully flesh out the realities of living carfree: Metro, buses, sidewalks, bike lanes, pedestrian safety, and the overall impact not having use of a car will have on my life. Because that way, if I hate it, I still have time to mull other possible New Years Resolutions without having to waste an unfulfilled one on carlessness!

But seriously, that's what this blog will be about. And inevitably, it will be about the music that fills my earbuds on the bus, the book that accompanies me on the metro, and the friends I discuss this experience with.

A few disclaimers: this blog will take place over the next month or so of my life, which includes a long-scheduled cruise to the Bahamas in mid-October. So, am I cheating on the "one month with no car" claim? I guess a little bit. But... that's just how the dates fell so roll with me, aight? I also work for a member of the Montgomery County Council, so you The Reader should know that any views or experiences relayed on this blog are that of my own, and not of him, the Council or anyone else in Montgomery County Government.

Defining what I want this blog to be about is the first thing I wanted to do. Tomorrow, I'll take a look at where I am and where I'll be going...

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on taking the plunge to carlessness! I'm looking forward to following your journey to a healthier, greener, and less expensive way of getting around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really worried about grocery shopping for you. I can't stand getting my groceries (and multiple cases of DC) from the trunk to my apartment... let alone from the STORE to my APT!!!

    Super excited to follow along!!

    ReplyDelete