Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day Two: RideOn and a Logistics Fail

I'm trying to be a little more respectful of my legs, since now they not only take me around for leisurely runs but they are also a means of getting to work.  So I opted for taking RideOn, and when I left for White Flint station, I thought I'd be taking Route 46.  I got there a few minutes early, but I couldn't find the spot for 46 anywhere.  I even went all the way around the newly-installed median in Marinelli to make sure I didn't miss it on the other side of the street.  As I was inspecting the RideOn stop across the street, I noticed the Route 81 bus, with its sign reading "Rockville Station", pulling up.  So I ran all the way back around the median, and hopped on the 81.  There were a few riders getting on with me, but most of them got off at the stop for the Tower Oaks Building.  (I was there for a fundraiser with Roger one time and got a tour - it is an incredible building, green to the max, and I'm not surprised at least a handful of their employees opt for a carless commute.)  My commute this morning was actually REALLY NICE: the bus wasn't crowded and I had plenty of room to sit comfortably without feeling like I was in somebody else's space.  It took about a half hour: I got on the bus at 8:00 and arrived at Rockville around 8:30.  Although, that's just about the same amount of time it takes me to run that distance...

Earlier I noted that my efforts to get around and get to work without a car were complicated by the fact that I would be running either all of the way or part of the way to work, which requires changes of clothes and shower supplies at the office - items I wouldn't need if I were just using the bus or Metro.  My plans are further complicated by the fact that I (roughly, depending on the week) split my time between my apartment in Silver Spring and my boyfriend's apartment in North Bethesda.  Further complicating my plans still?  Jon is moving on Thursday.

I had taken all of my clothes I had at Jon's back to my apartment: I didn't want him to have to worry about my stuff while he was packing all of his own stuff for the move.  The problem?  I planned to sleep there a few nights this week, meaning when I got to his apartment yesterday after work, all I had were the clothes I arrived in.  Fail.  So this morning I rolled to work in my running shorts and a tshirt of Jon's from a college track meet (he's got hundreds of those, anyway. He may not see it again.)  Good thing I had planned ahead and have about two weeks worth of work clothes hanging in a supply closet at the office...

No comments:

Post a Comment