Monday, September 27, 2010

Day One: This Was Actually Fun

After taking the Q2 in this morning, the plan for getting home (read: Jon's) after work today was running.  The rain held out and the conditions were actually perfect for it - I was pumped to change after work and get outside.  And I found that running is even more enjoyable when it means getting where you need to go without having to sit in traffic, or waste gas, or contribute to pollution, etc etc.  I knew it would be a good run: about three miles down the Pike to Harris Teeter where I was meeting Jon.

Running down the Pike isn't as bad as you would think, except in certain stretches.  There is a steady uphill grade starting at Congressional Mazda all the way until you get to Bloom, which is pretty miserable.  Navigating the intersection with Montrose Road (or is it Parkway there? who knows) is a little tricky too.  But I didn't have to stop at an intersection a single time - not sure if I just hit all the green lights exactly right or if it just takes a long time to turn onto the Pike no matter what.

Really, the worst part of running on the Pike are the drivers.  I got beeped at several times while people waited for me to make right turns off of the Pike, as if I were the one supposed to be yielding to them.  People seriously looked at me like I was crazy.  Running down Rockville Pike - I dunno, maybe I am?  Shout out to the lady in the black Camry that pulled out into a crosswalk to turn, saw me coming, and backed back out of the intersection.  You, are awesome, black Camry lady.

If you're a runner and you've never checked out http://www.mapmyrun.com/, you need to do so immediately.  They've got a really handy iPhone app that tracks your location with GPS, and measures your distance and speed.  If you close the app on your phone to do something else, like take a picture of how much running down Rockville Pike can suck in certain spots, it pauses the time - really it's the only downfall of the app.  I love it and use it almost everytime I run.

I was pretty happy with my time, too.  3.1 miles in 31:06.  Tomorrow I might run in the morning to work, or I may take RideOn.  We'll see what Carless Day #2 brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment