Monday, October 25, 2010

Logistics: Shaving Schedule

Spaghetti and meatballs.  Peanut butter and jelly.  Red bull and vodka.  For me, if there are two things that go together, it's shaving and showering.  In fact, I usually shave while I'm in the shower using my fogless mirror because I'm metro like that.

For that reason, no routine of mine has been more thrown off by this month of carlessness than my shaving schedule.  I used to shave every Monday and Thursday, which I could get away with because my "beard" (I use this term loosely) grows in pretty slow and is barely noticeable on the first day of not shaving.  On the second day, usually Wednesdays or Saturdays, the stubble is noticeable but not bad.  The third day is always bad - but on a normal schedule the third day only falls on Sundays, which doesn't really matter.

But since I've started showering at work, it's gotten all kinds of messed up.  Since I try to get in and out of the bathroom as quickly as possible, I haven't even thought about shaving at work - the time factor aside, it still feels kind of gross and like something I would never want to do.  Nor would my co-workers want me to, I'm sure.  That leaves mornings that I shower at my apartment (read: not Jon's) as the only time I can shave.  But since one of my favorite ways to get to work is taking the RideOn Route 5 to White Flint and then running the rest of the way to Rockville, it's pointless to shower before leaving.

I haven't really found a solution.  I can't shave without showering.  That's a fact of my life.  But I don't like showering in order to shave when otherwise I wouldn't need to.  So basically I've had to accept that I'm not always going to be as clean-shaven as I might have been if I were getting up every morning, showering, shaving on Mondays and Thursdays, getting in my car, and driving to work.  (This was hardest to swallow last week when I met Congressman Henry Waxman having not shaved in three days.)

Not that I think my co-workers even notice.  I believe this to be the case because some that I've mentioned this to have said "oh, I hadn't noticed" or "oh, I thought it was a look."  So, I may be making a mountain out of a molehill on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment